“I absolutely believe that people, unless coached, never reach their maximum capabilities.”
― Bob Nardelli, former CEO, Home Depot
The word “converstation” has Latin roots which are complex in texture. I relish the notion of focusing on the meaning to turn, i.e. to turn together, to turn to one another, to face one another. And, isn’t that what people do when they converse. In fact, in modern times, some say that the word “conversation” holds the feeling to “change together”.
It’s one of the richest aspects of moving though the world – to be in conversation with all that is. For me, in this space, the word “Conversations” is an umbrella for the different ways I come together with others as a facilitator in group settings and one-on-one – walking together to cultivate greater depth in self-awareness, creating connection and deepening ‘conversation’ with self, nature, the world and other.
Having trained and achieved the designation of ACC with the International Coaching Federation, I used the term ‘coaching’ exclusively for my work fort the first few years. More recently, I have found that my work is often seen with a slight shift – in a different light. For me traditional coaching is often perceived as that “Rah Rah, Goal oriented approach – to figure set and achieve specific goals”. I think that this cheats us out of the experience of growth, connection and the larger context of a coaching relationship for the most part. What I want for you is the growth in who you are ‘through’ the coaching experince so that you are more of who you want to be when you achieve your goals. The conversations I have with clients have morphed as I have, and so the title for my work has as well – “Conversations” or “Coaching Conversations” are what fits when I ask my clients how they think of our work together.
“I never cease to be amazed at the power of the coaching process to draw out the skills or talent that was previously hidden within an individual, and which invariably finds a way to solve a problem previously thought unsolvable.”
― John Russell, Managing Director, Harley―Davidson Europe Ltd.
Coaching Conversations are more about:
- combining the best of research to utilize the best of activating ourselves to move forward and change and at the same time deeping our connections to ourselves and thereby growing in who we are
- learning to thrive in ways that allow personal growth
- coming to deeper understanding of ourselves and how we show up to others
- learning ot set goals and massage what they look like as we go
- learning to be open to ourselves and others
- learning the power of synergy
- learning to listen to ourselves by learning to connect with our bodies and feelings
- learning to live a life informed by our feelings
- developing personal standards and boundaries
- delving in to our emotional experiences and learning to value them not turn away from them
- learning and growing through studying the wisdom of others when appropriate in our lives
- being open to mentorship in certain aspects of our lives
- experiencing the cyclical nature of life
- learning how to allow and turn away from forcing
- learning how to be open to living in a state of change
- the synergy created by working together
I hold a special interest and history in working with individuals who fall into the following categories:
- Creatives – authors, artists, musicians, innovators and others who excel at design & creativity in their work and lives
- Entrepreneurs – especially mid-sized companies, but open to working with any stage of development
- Dyslexics – Adults in particular – and, anyone who feels they exhibit the many strengths from this processing style
- Other Learning Strengths – Yes, they used to be called challenges, but I just don’t buy that. Having a different processing style than the norm is a huge gift when capitalized upon.
- Athletes – My years training with Olympic coaches in the sport of archery also led me to studying mind/body connections as well as the importance of emotional connection and body awareness.
Some of my most meaningful work centres around cultivating a deeper, more meaningful relationship with self and other:
- Individuals who are looking to enhance Emotional Awareness – Helping to deepen connection.
- Individuals who are looking to create a place of presence for self and those around them when dealing with major turning points – such as illness, or the walk toward the death of a loved one.
- Individuals looking to create self-awareness and cultivate a space of presence as they go through life-transitions – such as mid-life, career change, relationship changes.
Contact me to chat more about how we might work together to help you tap more clearly into the wisdom of your life. 1, 3 and 6 month packages are available as well as single sessions for those of you who are familiar with the coaching conversation experience. Pre and post session submissions are part of every session to ensure you get the most out of our conversation. Looking forward to chatting with you.
“Being in ‘conversation’ with Jan was the perfect thing to help me see how I could embrace my mind’s processing style and actually see it as a strength. This is helping me think again about who I am and what I want for myself. I even speak up at work more when I see something that other people don’t. Thanks, Jan.”
Stephen – Coaching Conversation Client